Is Everything Changing?

Change can be scary and confusing.  We can be faced with challenges and new experiences that can feel overwhelming at first, until we find the support we need to help us through. 

You might already be getting support from the Child and Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and faced with the change into Adult Mental Health Services, or you may be leaving services or adjusting to major life changes such as leaving school, starting university, work or living independently.

It’s important to remember, if you’re struggling, help is out there – you’re not alone.

I Would like Support

If you’re not currently getting support and would like to speak to someone to find out more, call 01463 236 507 or email, marked ‘Service request’ along with your contact details.

 If it’s something in particular that’s changing or worrying you, go to (What’s worrying you page) for advice and contact details of people in your area who may be able to help.

I’m Already Getting Support

If you’re already being supported by Child and Mental Health Services, you should have had an assessment to ensure that any support you need in the future (from Adult Services) is transferred over smoothly.  If you have any questions about this process talk to your CAHMS care team because the person appointed as lead professional - you should be told who this is - must make sure the right people are involved in your assessment and that the assessment takes place.

The assessment should focus on things such as what’s positive and possible for you and what support is available to you, as well as to your family or carers.

You might hear CAMHS staff talking about CAF (common assessment framework), or the assessment framework. These are systems for making sure all the right questions are asked at the assessment. You can ask CAMHS to explain more about this.

You may also be having a separate assessment about continuing education or training, if you are registered as having special educational needs. Ask your teachers about this if you are not sure.

Assessment is a chance for you to ask for help and for the people close to you to have their say. It can be an opportunity for you to ask for more help and to say what helps you most.

You will be fully involved in the process and get the support to make decisions. Agree goals together – what you want to happen and how you’re going to get there. This will form what’s known as a Care Plan.

What is in a Care Plan?

Your care plan is unique to you and you must be asked what they think about it, and if they agree or disagree with it. If you agree, your parents or carers should also be consulted. Once you’ve seen the plan you should ask for your GP to be sent a copy.

The care plan should mention the following areas, and clearly state who will meet each need and what services will be provided to the young person:

• Mental health and emotional support: this will set out what help is to be provided by AMHS or another service. If such support is not provided, the plan should include advice on how you can keep well and healthy

• Who to contact in an emergency, or if things start to go wrong and more help is needed.

• Disabilities: what help they will get to manage any disabilities you have.

• Any physical health problems which mean you need to see a doctor or nurse should be mentioned, and any help you will get with diet, exercise, sexual health or other things.

• If you are in school or college or deciding whether to go back, the support you will receive to get there, or to do as well as you can

• Employment and training - any support or help you will get with these if required.

• Any support you will get to find safe and supported housing if necessary.

• Supporters and carers – Who helps look after you and what they do, plus the help or support your carers need to do this.

• Friends, activities and youth services - what makes you happy and how you can be supported to carry on with these things.